Monday, February 22, 2010

The Art World


I love watching people react to Marissa's paintings. I have been very surprised at the amount of people who give her real respect for her designs and ideas. I truly hate to say this because it really makes me sound terrible, but I thought people would react to her with more reluctance or that they would barely tolerate (with amusement) looking at her work. While we have had some of that before they see that she really does have talent, especially at some of the higher end galleries, once most people see her work, they really react as though she were another adult. Some even admire her with wonder. Most can't wait to see what she will do next.

As her mother, I treasure those reactions. I love seeing the quiet confidence upon which she presents herself and her artwork. It is simply what she has in her mind - transfered to canvas. She makes no apologies, no excuses, no explanations. Her work is what it is. She hasn't learned the ways adults critique and worry. She is free to discover what she can do and free to enjoy her talents.

I told Marissa that I love the way God builds families. I told her that I never painted until I was waiting for her to come home. I suddenly had the urge to paint when I wanted her to have a bedroom full of flowers and butterflies. I loved creating her space and it was filled with so much love and anticipation that I'm sure she must have felt it when she discovered the paintings as she grew. Next, I worked on her playroom, filling spaces with animals and plants that she loved so much she kissed and hugs the very walls I covered. I knew God was giving me just a bit of talent at the time...enough to give a little girl joy from her mother's heart.

What I have since learned is that He gave me enough talent to jumpstart the great talents He gave my daughter. He planned for me to paint those spaces so that I'd have the supplies on hand to give Marissa so she could take off with the visions she carried in her own mind. I know just enough about painting to set her free. I know just enough to believe in what she is doing, whether she paints for a season or a lifetime.

Isn't God good? I can't wait to see what He does next.

No comments:

Post a Comment